Tuesday 10 August 2010

The secret to being the shape you want to be




Some of the cleverest, strongest, most capable women I meet are not at ease with their bodies.
It makes me sad because it’s not rocket-science that allows people to be in-shape.  
There’s no magic out there.  There's no special metabolism.  Any one can be the shape they need to be.
It clicked for me when I realized this:
Only I decide what I put in my mouth.  No-one else has a say in the matter.  
I don’t listen to smug, over-weight, over-accessorized instructors from Weight-Watchers, or to any diet ever invented, or expensive private dieticians armed with scales, or beautifully designed weekly eating-plans, or Dr. Phil, or Jenny Craig, or the makers of Special K, or a hypnotist, or any of the hundreds of books written on the subject.
 Only I decide what’s going in. (and believe me, I put lots of yum yum delicious things in my mouth on many different occasions)
On the other hand, I know that because I need to be in-shape, I can’t feast every meal.
That’s the bottom–line.  
I hope you throw your scales away, that you never consult another expert or put your hopes in another diet.  I hope you trust yourself to act in your own best interests. I hope it clicks for you. I hope that you eat well and live well.  I hope you realize we are the lucky ones.
Artichokes and Hollandaise Sauce
Cut the top off the artichokes so that they will fit in the pot. Wash under tap. Put artichokes in pot of boiling water for 40 minutes.
Hollandaise
3 egg yolks
1 table spoon fresh lemon juice
Pinch salt
1 cup melted unsalted butter
Whisk egg yolks and lemon juice and salt till thick and creamy then place on very, very low heat until tracks form on the bottom of the pan.  Remove from heat and slowly oh so slowly whisk in the melted butter.
Sit around the table with loved ones and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment