Tuesday 23 February 2010

This is the real reason I made bread today.


It’s not because I’m worthy but because I’m lazy. It’s raining outside and I’ve just straightened my hair and I don’t want to get my hair wet going to the shops and I’ve got teenagers to feed and we’ve run out of bread. Then I remembered my brother’s ex-girlfriend (who came from Denmark) had given me this recipe:
Ida’s bread
20 grams melted butter
Half a litre of liquid at body temperature made up of water/milk/yogurt
25 grams fresh yeast
Half a tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon honey
200 grams sunflower seeds
100 grams crushed walnuts
700 grams flour 1:5 brown to white.

Mix the butter, liquid and yeast. Stir in the salt and honey. Leave for five minutes.
Mix together with all the dry ingredients.
Leave to rise one hour at least though two hours would be even better. Knead it on a floured surface. Shape into two loaves and put on a greased tray. Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes at 200 degrees.
(That was the recipe as I wrote it down. In real life, I used dry yeast, not fresh. I only had white flour not brown and I had poppy seeds, linseeds and pumpkin seeds so I used two tablespoons of each of those instead of the walnuts that I didn’t have. Luckily I had sunflower seeds. I had to add lots more flour. I didn’t have yogurt either so I used crème fraiche)
I also baked potatoes, fried onions, grated cheese and made hummus for supper. (Turns out we didn’t have baked beans either)
Hummus
Tin of chickpeas, two cloves of garlic, third a jar of tahini, olive oil, salt and paprika. Blitz.

No comments:

Post a Comment