Tuesday 2 March 2010

A story about a girl and a fish

 





Once upon a time
Once upon a time there was a lovely fish called Kingklip that tasted yum yum delicious. Sadly it was over-fished and is now endangered.
Also there was once a blogger who used to live in Cape Town and now she doesn’t.  So I have to make this recipe with haddock or cod but I still call this recipe golden-topped Kingklip in honour of the fish I used to love to eat.

Golden-topped Kingklip
 One and a half pounds of any firm white fish fillet.
(Ask fish-monger to take out bones, cut off head, de-scale but leave skin on)
Half a cup of Salad Cream (or mayonnaise)
One tablespoon chopped capers
One tablespoon chopped chives or parsley
Half a cup grated cheddar cheese
Salt and cayenne pepper
One egg white

Butter an oven-proof dish. Put the fish in the dish with a little more butter and salt on top.  
Put it in the middle of an oven with medium heat and grill for 8 -12 minutes.
Mix the Salad Cream, capers, cayenne, chives, parsley and cheese.
Beat egg white till stiff and fold into cheesy mix.
Spread on the fish that you’ve allowed to cool down
and grill for another five minutes or until topping is golden and puffed.
Serve with rice. 

Another word I don’t like to use


Healthy is a bad word in my book. 
I don’t believe in counting five portions of fruit and vegetables a day. I don’t believe in super-foods. 
I really don’t believe in fat-free.
I believe in delicious.   
I believe in delicious spinach, delicious egg-plant, delicious lentils and delicious food enjoyed at a table with others.  
 I believe in the pleasure of good food with all its glorious colours, textures and tastes.   
And I believe we are the fortunate ones.


No comments:

Post a Comment